What does PAT stand For ??

PAT or Portable appliance testing – is where you look and test electrical appliances and equipment and make sure that there safe to use. Most electrical safety defects can be found by visual inspection but some types of electrical safety defect can only be found by testing.

Who should get pat testing done?

The following or examples of people and organizations who should look at have PAT carried out but does not include them all but the main ones are as follows :- landlords, Offices and Office blocks, Hospitals, Schools, Hotels, Colleges, Churches etc

Who Carries out PAT ?

This is normally carried out by qualified electricians or people/ trades people who have specifically trained in this area.

What items that need pat testing ?

This list does not cover everything as the list would go on for some time but lists the main items we cover.

  • Printers
  • Chargers
  • Fridge freezers
  • Microwaves
  • Washers
  • Dryers
  • Extension leads
  • Kettles
  • Ovens
  • Hobs
  • Tvs
  • Dvd players

If your a landlords then any appliances you provide your tenants needs to be tested.

Why do Appliances fail ?

items fail for a number of reasons but have listed just a few below


The Plug

  • Plug rattles
  • No cardboard label on the bottom
  • Flexible cable secure in its anchorage

Flex or cable

  • In bad condition
  • Free from cuts fraying and damage
  • More than one flex connected into one plug


Appliance or item or equipment

  • Are they Free from cracks, chemical or corrosion damage to the case or damage that could result in access to live parts
  • Can it be used safely
  • Does it switch on and off correctly
  • Is there any signs of overheating

Is it expensive ?

Pat doesn’t have to cost the earth and if done regularly and correctly it can save you money in the long run. Prices start from 75p +vat for each item after the first 10 which costs £35+vat if in Nottingham.

If this is something you require then you can book online via the booking tab at the top of the page or by calling the office using the number at the top of the page.